Saturday 23 February 2013

//London Fashion Week, through the eyes of an intern

The courtyard at Somerset House.


I have, however, been very lucky to be interning with designer brand Palmer//Harding in the run up to LFW, so I got a big healthy helping of fashion week madness! For the past few weeks I have been working with designers Levi Palmer and Matthew Harding, helping them finish up all the garments in their AW13 collection - admittedly this did involve quite a bit of endless button sewing, and being a shirt-focused brand, you can imagine there's a fair few of these! But it all paid off when I got to work with them on the photo shoot for their lookbook, and then, what it was all leading up to, the big day where we took the collection to Somerset House and presented it to the fashion world in a presentation on Saturday afternoon.



Manolo Blahnik's.




A few sneaky shots I took at the studio photo shoot for Palmer//Harding's lookbook.
Family shot! Everyone who worked on set of the photo shoot.





These are some shots I took of the Newgen showspace at Somerset House.

Although I found it a tad daunting being a 17 year old at London Fashion Week, amongst all these big time editors and buyers, just being there experiencing it all was so exciting, plus I got to swan around Somerset House in a gorgeous Palmer//Harding shirt all day!



Shirt - Palmer//Harding, Trousers - Topshop, Flatforms - River Island.

There's quite a stigma attached to interning, how it's unfair that you get no pay and it's said that often you get stuck with mundane/tiring jobs, but the fact is, that's how most industries work nowadays. I've done a fair bit of voluntary/unpaid work and it honestly is the best way to get a foot in the door and gain experience of something.You just don't know what doors it's going to open for you or the people you're going to meet through it, and in my experiences of interning I've ended up with great little insights into the industry at the most thrilling time there is in the fashion world.

The designers I was working with, Palmer//Harding, had an extremely successful presentation, which is no surprise as their beautiful collection was so brilliantly displayed in the Newgen space. You can check out their amazing AW13 collection, and all their previous collections, here.//

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments make me smile :) And I guarantee that I will always check out the blogs of people who comment/follow